Work for Success Program
The Work for Success Program is a 8 week, 4 day per week, comprehensive,
multi-dimensional program designed to get people into good, permanent jobs.
Our Work for Success program gives students the skills necessary to succeed in a fast paced and challenging work environment. The program is broken down into an eight week semester. Each week we will discuss key terms and concepts involved in job seeking and what it takes to keep a job once you have it. Let’s examine now each facet of the Work for Success program.
- Interview preparation- we go over the proper way to dress, act and speak to impress today’s employer. Verbal and non-verbal communication are covered. Mock interviews are conducted at the end of the course.
- Resume preparation- Proper grammar and punctuation as well as general keys for overall success are discussed. Students are also taught how to write a resume that will be successful when computers are selecting candidates. In addition, students prepare cover letters for all resumes, understanding that their work history or criminal record, as well as their commitment to move forward, may need further explanation. After students submit their resume’s feedback is given before the last week to ensure a great finished product that the student can be proud of.
- Bible Study- We are a faith-based organization. We stress that true lasting changes in character and job performance come about through a renewal of one’s faith.
- Budgeting and Finance-This course teaches how to manage personal or household finances. The course covers principles of creating and using a budget, becoming debt free, giving, saving, and family finances. The course also includes a math module that covers the basics of using hand calculators, working with decimals and per cent, budget calculations, interest rates, loans, and investments.
- Communications- We help students learn about verbal and non-verbal communication skills that will help them get ahead in today’s workforce. This course includes conflict management and assertiveness training.
- Personal Hygiene and Dress- This class reminds students about the lasting value of first impressions. We go over more than just the basics of dress and grooming. We teach students to sew on buttons and repair hems. We teach students to identify colors and styles that fit their build and personality.
- Computer Skills- We go over basic use of the computer including functional skills, Microsoft word and Excel usage and Internet basics.
- Soft Skills- soft skills are the personal attributes that allows us to effectively relate to others. These skills enhance our personal interactions and lead to greater job performance and satisfaction. Unlike hard skills, which are the technical and knowledge skill set we bring to our work, soft skills are interpersonal and can be applied in a broad array of situations. Soft skills encompass both personality traits, such as optimism, and abilities which can be practiced, such as empathy. Like all skills, soft skills can be learned.